Out with the old and in with the new! We’re bringing in the New Year with these absolutely amazing flatbreads made with the Let’s Do…Organic Green Banana Flour that we included in this month’s Foodie box. The theme of the box was “Island Getaway” so banana flour only seemed suitable.
When you are flirting with new products you never really know if you will get it right on the first try but in this case we can say this recipe was a big win! These flatbreads are super easy to make and can become such a versatile product in your kitchen.
Before we get to the recipe, you must be asking just what is Green Banana Flour? Most of us have never heard of such a thing. It’s a great allergen friendly alternative to wheat, soy or nut based flours but it absolutely does not taste like banana so for those who aren’t fond of the fruit no need to cringe! The reason it does not have the sweet banana taste is because they pick and peel young green bananas before most of their starch has a chance to ripen into sugar. They then dry them carefully to protect their mild flavor and to maximize their resistant starch, which is praised by nutritionists for promoting a feeling of fullness, while supporting friendly digestive bacteria.
Now on to the recipe!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 4 eggs
• 1/2 cup Let’s Do…Organic Green Banana Flour
• 1/2 cup tapioca starch (flour)
• 4 tsp. baking powder
• 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp)
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
– Place all ingredients in a mixer and mix until smooth. Let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes to allow time for the flour to absorb the liquid and the baking powder to activate. (mixture will still be fairly liquid)
– Slowly pour some batter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat (about 1/2 cup batter). Fry for about 5 minutes until bubbles form , then flip and cook the other side.
-Great with hummus!
**Banana Flour Baking Tip: When replacing grain flour in baking recipes, use 25% less green banana flour (example: your recipe calls for 1 cup of wheat flour, replace with 3/4 cup green banana flour). No extra eggs or liquid ingredients are needed as this flour produces a nice moist texture.